The Hindu research farm is located in the southern-east part of Khost city, next to the historic hill, Takhta Bek . This farm was established in 1340 for the production of Forage through Paktia Development project. In this farm, a diverse range of Forage like clover, alfalfa, and mung bean and etc were cultivated for the purpose of experimentation and demostration. The crop of this farm was used to feed the animals in Khost.
At that time, this farm was divided in 8 parts each was 5 Jeribs, it means this farm is 40 Jeribs where diverse range of forage is cultivated. According to the documents of this farm, it was 90 Jeribs and during the implementation of Paktia Development Project a deep well was dug and was used to irrigate the farm.
This farm is located at a more sensible part of the city which currently became a commercial area. Therefore, this farm is also used for the commercial purposes. At 50 Jeribs of this farm adjacent to the Khost main road, shops (wooden and mud-made shops) are constructed. These shops are used for carpentry and wood retailing. In addition, general stores, petrol /gas retailers, automobile workshops are also constructed in this farm. The mentioned shops are given on rent for 65000 Afghanis monthly. However, the renting of the shops is not past by the Land Management Organization (Arazi) Department of Afghanistan. Therefore, it contradicts with thearticle no 65 of the land law. This process took place during the time of the former governor of Khost, Mirajuddin Pataan and it is still effective. At that time, Mr. Osmaan was appointed as an acting head of the agriculture department by the Governor. This farm also has a small mosque. The deep-well of this farm is presently inactive. According to the sources, 40 to 50 Jeribs of this farm is being grabbed by the Defence Ministry. The soil of this farm has also lost its quality due to the heavy trucks passing across the farm and the shops.
- The leasing process of the shops should be passed by the Land Management Authority (Arazi) Department of Afghanistan.
- The grabbed 40 Jeribs land should be return from the Defence Ministry.
- Since the farm’s soil has lost its quality, therefore a large amount is required to revert it to its original condition. Hence, we propose 2 solutions:
- In the new extension model, a fully equipped farmer market is planned in every province. This farm is suitable for building a farmers’ market. The cooperatives and the livestock, poultry unions, sapling dealers unions, horticulture unions, fruits, vegetables, pulses and cereals produces can benefit from this market. Refrigerating systems, dairy processing industry can also be established /built in the area of this farm. It is also a reasonable place for the demonstration of agriculture products.
- The authorities of the Khost province should be contacted to study the future development plans of Khost city. It is important to plan technically and effectively for this farm in accord with the law.